Two Zimbabweans in South African court for smuggling 33 children
Two Zimbabwean men, Decent Chokuwamba (32) and Risenga Makhenza (23), have briefly appeared before the Musina Magistrate’s Court on charges of aiding illegal immigrants and contravening immigration laws.
This follows their arrest last week at the Beitbridge Border Post, where they were allegedly found illegally transporting 33 children from South Africa to Zimbabwe in a Toyota Quantum.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson for the Limpopo division, Ms Mashudu Malabi, said the two men had been remanded in custody to January 22.
“It is alleged that on 13 January 2026, at the Beitbridge Port of Entry, the accused were apprehended by Border Management Authority (BMA) officials while allegedly loading 33 undocumented minor children into a Toyota Quantum, with the intention of departing the Republic of South Africa to Zimbabwe,” she said.
“The children are reported to be between the ages of four and 15 years.
“The accused were subsequently arrested, and the matter has been postponed to 22 January 2026 for the profiling of the accused, and they remain in custody.”
The smuggling of children into Zimbabwe, Botswana and South Africa is common during major public and school holidays. *_-B-Metro_*

