46-year jail term for gang that poisoned dogs, tortured victims

A sustained crackdown by the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) CID Homicide unit in Bulawayo has culminated in the conviction and heavy sentencing of six members of a notorious armed robbery syndicate that had been terrorising residents and businesses across the city.

 

The gang, whose reign of fear sparked widespread public outcry, was sentenced to a combined 46 years and six months in prison on January 28, 2026, following a year-long trial that began on January 28, 2023.

 

Officer Commanding CID Homicide Bulawayo, Detective Chief Inspector Herbert Kaninji, said the syndicate had perfected a ruthless modus operandi that included poisoning dogs by lacing sausages before attacking targeted premises.

 

“I am going to take you through the recent conviction of armed robbers who were terrorising greater Bulawayo, targeting residential properties and business premises,” said Det Chief Insp Kaninji.

 

The gang would identify properties with security dogs, poison the animals, and then force entry while armed with firearms. Once inside, they subjected complainants to torture in a bid to extract cash and valuables. Their charges included armed robbery, kidnapping, and attempted murder.

 

The convicted suspects were identified as Silence Kangwa (30), Julius Mgwagwa (28), Ediza Mudodo (36), Douglas Rizine (32), and Felias Mvula (54).

 

Det Chief Insp Kaninji said that due to the public outcry in greater Bulawayo, the CID Homicide unit embarked on a targeted operation against the syndicate. During the operation, police received a tip-off which led to the arrest of two suspects.

 

“The suspects then implicated their accomplices, whom we eventually arrested,” he said.

 

The officer said the syndicate was brought to court on January 28, 2023, and after a lengthy year-long trial, police presented overwhelming evidence and recoveries.

 

“Thereafter we managed to secure a conviction of a combined total of 46 years and six months on January 28, 2026,” said Det Chief Insp Kaninji.

 

He commended members of the public for providing critical information that led to the dismantling of the gang.

 

“I would like to thank the general public for giving us vital information that led to the elimination of this syndicate which was terrorising the Bulawayo community,” he said.

 

The conviction brings relief to a city that had endured months of violent home invasions marked by calculated brutality and intimidation.

 

Herald

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *