Mawere family disowns burial fundraising efforts

The family of the late businessman, Mr Mutumwa Mawere, who died in South Africa on Thursday last week, has dismissed claims that they are unable to raise funds or mobilise resources for his burial.

The family said the idea was being pushed by outsiders who wanted to take advantage of their bereavement.

Mr Mawere, who had turned 66 on January 11, died last Thursday morning at the Mediclinic Sandton Hospital in Johannesburg, where he had been receiving intensive medical care at the specialised facility for several months.

In a statement yesterday, the family said they had noted with concerntwo individuals who had sent a begging bowl to Zimbabweans over his burial.

The family said all formal communications regarding Mr Mawere’s burial will be handled by Mr Alex Mawere who was appointed spokesperson following a family meeting held in South Africa yesterday.

In addition, they said burial arrangements will be communicated in due course since the family was still consulting other relatives on the way forward.

“While we are still grappling with the demise of our beloved family member, we have sadly noted social media messages circulating to the effect that we are seeking funeral contributions,” said the family in the statement.

“We feel that such level of disrespect, especially during a moment like this is not only inhuman, but defies the very basic tenets of Ubuntu. We hereby categorically state that as a family, we have not deliberated on the need to fundraise considering the stature of the man we are mourning today.

While there is nothing innately sinister about seeking contributions when death strikes, there is everything wrong when distant people capitalise on the death of our family member to cash in on unsuspecting members of the public.”

The Mawere family highlighted that they had noted a message circulating indicating that mourners can pay contributions to the Electronic Wallet of one Shau Mudekunye on paystack platform and also through Dr R G Machiri’s Investec Bank Limited account.

It said these individuals were acting on their own accord without the knowledge of the family members and that the exclusion of any Mawere family member on the messages making reference to the twoon sensitive family matters was not only strange, but disturbing.

“We regret the damage they have caused during this period in which friends and family are both reflecting on the life and times of Mutumwa Dziva Mawere,” said the family.

“We have also been surprised that just two days after his passing on, a message is circulating to the effect that a Memorial Service is being organised when close family members are still working on travel arrangements from Zimbabwe to South Africa.

“Burial decisions are not unilaterally done, but are the collective responsibility of all close family members. What we have witnessed is the highest level of disregard for the privacy of the family to mourn their relative. This is not how we handle our funerals.”

The Mawere family pleaded for privacy as they deliberate on the burial arrangements.

_Sunday Mail_

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *